Followers

Subscribe!

Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Nation

Subscribe by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© Til We Read Again- Bobbie Seacrist. Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, August 29, 2010

These is my Words Review

These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (P.S.) These is my Words by Nancy Turner: Based on the real-life exploits of the author's great-grandmother, this fictionalized diary vividly details one woman's struggles with life and love in frontier Arizona at the end of the last century. When she begins recording her life, Sarah Prine is an intelligent, headstrong 18-year-old capable of holding her own on her family's settlement near Tucson. Her skill with a rifle fends off a constant barrage of Indian attacks and outlaw assaults. It also attracts a handsome Army captain named Jack Elliot. By the time she's 21, Sarah has recorded her loveless marriage to a family friend, the establishment of a profitable ranch, the birth of her first child?and the death of her husband. The love between Jack and Sarah, which dominates the rest of the tale, has begun to blossom. Fragmented and disjointed in its early chapters, with poor spelling and grammar, Sarah's journal gradually gains in clarity and eloquence as she matures. While this device may frustrate some readers at first, Taylor's deft progression produces the intended reward: she not only tells of her heroine's growth, but she shows it through Sarah's writing and insights. The result is a compelling portrait of an enduring love, the rough old West and a memorable pioneer.


My Review:


I picked this book due to the fact it got over 244 5 star reviews on Amazon. I love books like these and thought for sure I was going to love this one. I didn't. I didn't loathe it but I didn't love it. By the 70th page their had already been two deaths, a rape, several Indian attacks, etc. There was way too much action in a short period of time which left me to wonder where the author had left to go. Nowhere. The rest of the book was very predictable. While One Thousand White Women was predictable it had enough heart and surprises to keep me going. This book did not. I almost felt with every page I had already read the story. In the end I put the book down and never thought anymore about it. Never a good sign as far as I am concerned. When I finish a book I like to think about it and reflect. There was nothing here to reflect on. I would not tell you not to read it I would just say don't expect a lot and be prepared for a ho hum experience. 



4 comments:

Kay said...

Bobbie, this is one of those times when we will agree to disagree. :-)

I was probably one of those 5 star reviews of this one. I read it several years ago though and wonder if I would rate the same with a re-read. I haven't read ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN, but I do have it on my endless TBR list.

I seem to remember that this book and subsequent ones by this author were based on a grandmother or great-grandmother's diaries or something like that.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Cat said...

I'm sorry you were disappointed.

Like Kay, I read this book a few years back and remember really enjoying it. The title has stuck in my mind all this time so it must have had a memorable quality for me.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Good review, I was curious about this one.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Oooo like deja vu. I hate when that happens. Thanks for the honest review.

Search

Loading...

About Me

Bobbie
A Book lover that works for artists during the day and reads by night. I love to do book reviews and am always looking for new books to read!
View my complete profile

Contact Me

You can contact me HERE
I am willing to do guest posts and ARC reviews. Please email me if you would like to discuss. Til We Read Again:)
Bobbie

Feeds

Bobbie's to-read book montage

My Name is Mary Sutter
Grace Under Pressure
A Hopeful Heart
Two Guys Read Jane Austen
The Opposite of Me
Jane Austen Ruined My Life
Small Island
In Search of the Kite Runner
The Time Traveler's Wife
Dark Places
Spooky Little Girl
The Wrong Mother: A Novel
The Liars' Club
Swallow the Ocean: A Memoir
Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter
The Glass Castle
The Years Before Anne: The Early Career of Lucy Maud Montgomery, Author of "Anne of Green Gables"
Before Green Gables
Every Secret Thing
In a Strange City


Bobbie's favorite books »

Total Pageviews

Grab A Button

Books Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory